This super simple 5-ingredient recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos creates the MOST delicious, boldly flavored, tender shredded chicken and will soon be at the top of your list for favorite busy day slow cooker recipes!
Here’s another gem to add to your slow cooker repertoire. In my flavor-obsessed opinion, this chicken is AMAZING! This recipe has been in my family since I was a little girl, and to this day we still make it all the time for family and friends. Everyone loves it and asks for the recipe every time! I’ve tried many other crockpot chicken taco recipes, but am always disappointed. I love bold flavor, and this recipe has it!
If any of you know me well, you can attest to the fact that I am a taco fanatic. I love all tacos. Beef, pork, chicken, fish, shrimp, hot dog… say waaah? You heard me right. Grilled jalapeño sausage, pico de gallo and freshly grated cheddar jack cheese with poblano sauce on a soft homemade flour tortilla. Or in other words: the Republican from Torchy’s Tacos. Oh Houston how I miss you. Sigh. I fell in love with Torchy’s (only the best taco joint in the world) a few years ago and have been hooked on unique taco combos ever since. One of my favs: The Brushfire. Jamaican Jerk chicken, grilled jalapeños, mango, sour cream and cilantro topped with a Diablo sauce that will make you pee your pants. Now while my crockpot chicken taco recipe may not be as unique or topped with crazy delicious sauces, in my humble opinion it can hold it’s own against the bold flavors coming out of this joint.
Best part? It only has 5 ingredients and is super easy to throw together! That is never a bad thing in my book. Life with one-year old twins and a three-year old Tasmanian devil is hard enough. amirght? You just dump everything in, set your slow cooker to low, binge watch a few episodes of Hart of Dixie while your kiddos take a nap, and then come back to juicy tender chicken waiting to be shredded for all kinds of scrumptious recipes.
Note: After shredding, leave the chicken in the broth and cook for an additional 30 minutes on low. This will help the shredded meat to soak up all that lovely juice.
This chicken is super versatile. We love it served on corn tortillas topped with fresh pico de gallo, guacamole, lettuce and cheese. Sometimes I will make a taco with just the chicken in it, because it is SO yummy and I don’t want any other flavors to interfere with the perfection. You can also use this chicken for enchiladas, burritos, nachos, soups, chilis, salads, and more. The sky is the limit!
Tip: Once shredded this chicken freezes perfectly, making for a super fast weeknight meal! I also love freezing it in cupcake pans and popping them out and storing them in a freezer bag. This is awesome for small, individual servings – an ideal quick lunch option!Print
The BEST 5-ingredient Crockpot Chicken Tacos
This super simple 5-ingredient recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken Tacos creates the most delicious, boldly flavored, tender shredded chicken and will soon be at the top of your list for favorite busy day slow cooker recipes!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 lbs. chicken (I like to use 1/3 of the large bag of frozen tenderloins from Costco)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, add the rest of the ingredients on top.
- For frozen chicken, cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. If using fresh or thawed chicken, reduce time (4-6 hours low; 2-4 hours high).
- Shred the chicken (and any large chunks left of stewed tomatoes) using two forks. It should fall apart easily, if not cook longer before shredding.
- Continue to cook on low for 30 minutes to an hour to allow the chicken to absorb the juices.
- Serve with a slitted or perforated spoon.
- Serve on your favorite corn or flour tortillas. Top with pico de gallo, guacamole, cilantro, cheese, plain non-fat greek yogurt or any of your other favorite taco toppings.
- I love to serve this with my Mexican rice and black beans.
- You can also use this chicken for enchiladas, burritos, nachos, soups, chilis, salads, and more. The sky is the limit!
Keywords: chicken, tacos, crockpot, slow-cooker, easy, 5-ingredients, dinner, main dish